Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Christmas Eve - 1980

In 1980 we were out of money and out of gas and trying to make our way back home to Alaska. Broke and broke down in a small town in North Central Washingon, mom and dad decided to settle in there until we could finish the trip to Alaska. Mom found property for no money down and we proceeded to use what money we did have to buy building supplies.

I remember that year's Christmas fondly. We had run low on money and time building the house and Christmas eve saw us moving into the half finished building thanks to some hard working Christmas Elves (my mom and dad) who put up two visqueen walls and a visqueen ceiling to shelter in the wood stove and Christmas tree.

The tree was not very fancy, cut in the mountains by my older brother and my dad and decorated with strings of popcorn and handmade decorations, rosettes and sugar cookies, but it was the warmest and best Christmas I had ever had up to that point and is still a cherished memory even today.

This year, as we have for so many years, I plan to make popcorn stings and gingerbread cookies to decorate the tree, as I do periodically, and we always have fried cookies on the tree. A tradition in my family dating back to well before I was born.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Carter said...

Christmas brings back so many memories that we hold so close to our hearts!! It was a lovely post...I became nostalgic. I'm sure many of us like u n me must be having such special memories attached to this lovely celebration!!

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy