Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Poor Harry needed a little doctoring

I turned into a vet last night. My poor kitty, Harry Potter, who I believe I mentioned back when I was working on my taxes, has a new injury that was cause we think by a fight he got into with a tomcat someone dumped off in our yard. Rural area so that is not exactly an uncommon thing to have happen.

Anyway, the injured paw got an infection in it and last night I had to get Harry settled down on the bathroom counter and administer first aid. I have to say that the cat is the most amazingly trusting of felines I have ever encountered. It sounded like Pet Cemetery in there with all of the "Yoooooowwwwwwlllll"s and "rrrrrooowwwwwwwwwwwww"s, but Harry was very very patient and trusting of what I was doing to him and even though he had the chance three times to have my hand in his teeth, actually in the teeth and ready to be torn off, he did not so much as leave a scratch mark on the skin or anything and never once threatened to swipe at me with his claws (which had not been trimmed yet because of his hurt paw).

I got him all doctored up though, putting peroxide on the injury because that's what all the cat sites I have visited have said to do for a cat with a wound. Then I put a bandage on him to keep the wound clean. Then, to protect the bandage from him pulling it off and him from swallowing infection stuff or licking up any remaining peroxide, I took the top off a large plastic 5 quart ice cream container and cut a collar sized hole in the middle with a sheet rock knife. That slipped over his head and prevented him from licking at the injury.

This morning I removed the collar and bandaging and gave the kitty a bath to clean him up. He was not amused, but again he took it with as much decorum as a cat can when subjected to such things. I'm amazed at how fast cat hair can dry, it did not take very long for him to be all dry once again. The below picture was taken around 5 minutes after the bath.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy