Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Doctors playing cover your backside?

We got a call the other morning from one of the doctors at the hospital's ER. I've never before heard of an ER doctor calling to do a follow up check up on someone that had been in the ER. It seems that he wanted to make sure that my dad was going to be okay and was apparently not very believing of my mom when she said that he was. She pointed out that his regular doctor ran the tests over again and compared them to ones from 7 years ago and they are nearly identical, the ER doctors just don't know my dad.

He expressed concern about his eye (sounded from what I heard on this end that he thought she was not comprehending things or something), she tried to tell him that his eyesight was slowly correcting itself on its own and he apparently all but called her insane.

I'm not sure just what it is with some doctors, I've met more than my share of them, that think the caregiver is incompetent and don't know anything about the person they are caring for. One of the ER doctors (not the one that called) had been pissed that my mom would not bring in Hospice Care to take care of dad for "the week he might still live" - My dad's regular doctor is apparently still spitting nails mad about that.

I guess it's just a good thing we found him a good doctor that likes him rather than him having one of those crackpots that insist he can't beat the odds.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really touched a nerve for me on this one, Sandra. I speak to professionals on this very subject - listen to the family!

My dad's brain surgery resulted in him being completely demented, but the operation was medically successful, so the doctors acted like we were insane when we said dad thought the nurse (he loved before the surgery) was trying to kill him.

My totally deaf, elderly friend needed written notes. I told his doctor that. And I sat right there as the doctor yelled to Joe all about his knee. Everyone in the clinic knew what was wrong but Joe. I was madly taking notes and telling Joe what the doctor was saying, but couldn't this educated man take a moment to write it down for his deaf patient?

Sorry, don't mean to rant. My blood pressure is rising, so I'll quit. Great post, Sandra.
Carol

6:49 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Thanks Carol, and feel free to rant here any time. So sorry to hear about your dad.

I think it's probably not something that people that see doctors occasionally realize, but there are good doctors and bad doctors out there. In the past six, going on 7 years now, I have seen more medical... stupidity than I even knew could exist.

I've come to the conclusion that the good doctors far outweigh the bad ones, so if you find a good one stick with them. Don't even get me going on the nurses and pseudo nurses (or whatever them part time ones are called - not the candystripers, they're volunteer and generally the most competent in the place).

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy