Friday, January 12, 2007

Website for double checking medications

Okay, I found a good website for double checking medications. If you don't know by now, I'm a little bit paranoid about medications. They almost killed my grandmother several times (I kind'a think screwed up medications may have been what finally did kill my grandmother, don't recall), but anyway, they have been screwed up on my dad several times since I started being in charge of his medicine and I have asked doctors about the medicines in question and usually get a response like "Oh... yeah, he shouldn't take them two together..." I also know a few people who have had personal experience with screwed up medications.

So, I double check and then tripled and quadruple check, everything that I am told to give dad. Just to be sure that someone didn't give him something he should not be taking with something else. As many medications as he is on, and has been through, it's just common sense really.

But the website, it is SafeMedication.com. It is by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and has a drug search that will tell you all about the medications that you want looked up. And more than your doctor or local pharmacist has told you in some cases. For example, my dad was put on Imdur recently, and no one bothered to tell me this little factoid:

"Take isosorbide tablets on an empty stomach (at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals) with a full glass of water."

I had brrn giving it to him with the pills he has immediately before he eats breakfast. =-O

You can be sure I'll be running checks on ALL his medications before morning after finding out that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy