Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Voice recognition software

I found out that my new computer has voice recognition software on it. voice recognition software is handy but it does have its drawbacks. My dad was going to use it on his computer for dictating his novel into, he is trying to write down everything that happened to him in is life - from his childhood to his time in the military. my brother had got him a voice recognition program to use, but they take a lot of programming to get them to be able to recognize your voice properly. this is a much better version as it recognizes my words a lot more accurately than the one that my dad was using seemed to recognize his voice. that drawback that I can see with my dad began to use this one is that his vision he cannot read very well anymore and you need to be able to read senses from the tutorial to teach this program how you speak. I have a slight lisp when I talk and this program is able to recognize that and account for it in what types in. I still have to do a lot of typo fixing and the program does not insert punctuation. so I'm not sure how well this program will work for my father to be able to use it for his novel, we're going to try it though, because accept from the punctuation and very minor type of fixes this entire post was written using the word recognition software in a normal speaking tone and speed.

An example of how the software displays an average sentence without editing:

Original Version:
When I face the desolate impossibility of writing 500 pages, a sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it. Then gradually, I write one page and then another. One day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate.
- John Steinbeck

Dictated to voice recognition program:
{the Des Moines and possibility of writing 500 pages basic sense of failure falls on me and I know I can never do it then gradually I write one page and then another one day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate John Steinbeck

try number two:
when I face the death let him possibility of rain 500 pages and 6ยข a failure falls on me and I know I can never do it then gradually are a one page and then another one day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate John Steinbeck

as you can see the program learns as you use it and improves its ability to compensate for your speech pattern. I like it and will use it again very very often. I highly recommended it for anyone with arthritis, or other joint pain, in their hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy