Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Morning ramble about nothing and everything

I've sat here at my desk the last couple of days and watched the sun rise up over the mountains in the distance. My dad's flag pole is set at the corner of the garden, the waving flag greeting the early dawn with unfurled stars and stripes on a gentle morning breeze as the first golden bands of light edge the mountains in the distance.

Alaska has lovely mountains. Crisp peaks that rise up from gently rolling slopes. In a few more weeks the snow will be melted and the grass beginning to creep up out from under the old growth to create a blanket of green stretching across the lawn and out through the garden to wrap around the small fish pond.

I want to get some work done on the garden this year, build a stone waterfall flowing down into the pond and establish the raspberries back at the back of the garden. The raspberries seem to have died out the past few years, just the ones in the vegetable garden remain. I need to move some of those into the main garden. I also want to repaint and possibly recover my dad's yard swing, it is getting old and in need of maintenance, as is the old swing for the garden area.

The moose have taken the tops off my mom's apple trees again. I just hope that it does as it did with the willow tree on the old ranch years ago and sends their roots deep so that they come back as stronger trees. For years we thought the willow would die, but today it is almost as big as the willow tree that it had been taken from as a branch so many years ago. Maybe the apple trees will do that.

We also want lilacs. Dad and mom both love lilacs but we have not yet had one in the yard aside from a poor little one in the garden that barely struggles to make it and can't get any buds on it. I want to buy a full tree this year and get them a lilac finally.

I guess I should shut up and go put on the coffee now, leave anyone that followed this far to go do more important things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy