Thursday, May 01, 2008

Diabetes symptoms

Since my mother has diabetes, and I am often concerned by the possibility that I too might develop it, I decided to go looking for what the symptoms are. I found it to be a little less than informative when the American Diabetes Association listed the following symptoms for diabetes:

* Frequent urination
* Excessive thirst
* Extreme hunger
* Unusual weight loss
* Increased fatigue
* Irritability
* Blurry vision

Mmmm.... Okay... how does one exactly determine if they are urinating more frequent than they should be, or more thirsty than they should be? And if they are thirsty, then frequent urination is a side effect of that. Anyone that has ever tried that 8 glasses of water a day trick can tell you that. Or just try drinking tea on a regular basis.

Extreme hunger and weight loss don't generally go together however. I don't think any of those symptoms pertain to me, though, so I'm hopefully still in the clear as far as diabetes risk goes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger healthyfitfiend said...

i thought diabetes caused weight *gain*? ::baffled::

speaking of tea... guess what we forgot to order in time for motherseses day. ::headdesk::

TTFN

6:07 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Actually, the way I understand it being overweight makes you more likely to develop diabetes. Not 100% certain however.

And -- Arrrgh! Yer right! ::pounds head on desk:: ::sighs::

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy