Friday, May 25, 2007

MacGyvering the tire on my ATV trailer

I took off on my ATV yesterday to get diesel fuel for the heater, couple of cans tucked away in the trailer hooked onto the back of the bike. Got about three fourths of the way to the station and the tire came off the trailer.

Not good. I went back and retrieved the tire and lifted the trailer out of the dirt and examined the situation. The cotter pin that holds the tires on the trailer had come out and the washer was missing. Definitely not good. Thankfully I am not the sort to just toss up my hands and cry help. I dug out my tool box, used the rinky dink little soon to be replaced pliers that came with my ATV to unfasten a link from the section of dog chain I had been using to make sure my tool box don't walk away on it's own.

A few moments of bending and one side of the link was straightened out. I then got the dirt all wiped off the axle and outta the wheel and slipped the wheel in place, slipped the piece of dog chain into the hole for the cotter pin and bent the end of it with the pliers.

I took it slow, just a couple miles an hour, and even though I am a strong advocate of keeping ATVs and dirt bikes off the bicycle path I kept to the smooth paved path to the service station and then back home. There was a lot of rubbing wear on the fix, but it made it just fine.

Never insult someone because they watched MacGyver as they were growing up. ::snerk::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy