Monday, December 11, 2006

So, you REALLY think you could be a family caregiver? Read this first.

There are days when you just want to scream and run down the street in your pajamas waiting for the loony bin van to pull up along side you and scoop you up. Then there are weeks that are one day after another of that.

Sometimes it can actually be understood why someone would take their loved one to one of the, in my opinion, vile nursing homes. I swear, I'm getting close to that at this point. It's some kind of test to see just how much pressure I can take before I crack and go completely stark raving mad.

Okay, I suppose a little information on just what it is that is doing this might help, huh? Well, my dad is in a "I'm uncomfortable and have a pain that is irritating me and you're not doing enough - take me to the emergency room" mood and has been there off and on for a few days now. Every time he has even a small hangnail or bumps his arm on something or lays wrong to stress the shoulder it turns into a need to visit the ER. My trouble is, and what is driving me and my mom insane, is, with his current mood how the hell do you tell when it is just cabin fever (the condition that hits Alaskans after months of being locked in the house in the winter), or when it is something that requires being taken to the ER? We obviously are not going to refuse to take him if he needs to go, but how do you define a line between needs to go to the ER and just can't think of anything else to do so decides that he wants to go there?

And I know how that sounds - no, it's not just a matter of taking him for a drive. The car is freezing, yes, but we've offered to take him on drives to the store or whatever and he is not interested in that. It's just a mood of some kind and I'm not sure what caused it, but am determined not to let drive me insane. ::faint nervous twitching laughter::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy