Friday, March 09, 2007

How to help a caregiver

As a full-time caregiver, I can only make vague guesses as to what my brothers and sisters think about on what they might be able to do to help me and mom and assume that they can not think of anything. They try, sometimes far too hard (long story), but... I don't know. It would be nice if one of them would come around and just say to mom, "Take off for the afternoon mom, we'll stay here if dad needs anything."

I suppose they think that since there are two of us here it is easier and I am sure that when compared to the trials faced by solitary caregivers it is much easier, but it is not truly any easier on either one of us. We get tired and worn out and have trouble remembering what it was that we were supposed to do or, sometimes, forget what we were doing.

So, what can someone do for a caregiver? Well, giving them a few hours to go do whatever they want to is the first thing that comes to my mind. Another idea might be to make up a gift basket filled with things you think they will enjoy and give it to them with a "thank you" card. Or even just send them an e-mail saying "Thank you!"

It does not have to be big to touch their heart and make them feel like they really are making a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy