Thursday, March 08, 2007

Relaxation tips that usually work for me

It is easy to get stressed out when you are a caregiver, and stress is the main cause of burnout. Ways to destress that I have found to work for me are:

A brief walk outside in the fresh air. Even just a short stroll around the house looking at the flowers in the summer can do wonders.

A relaxing candlelit bath. I place a tray or shelf over the end of the bathtub and fill it with candles of assorted sizes and colors, more candles go in safe locations on shelves and the vanity. Mirrors on small stands placed behind the candles help to brighten the room without having to turn on an electric light source.

Gentle exercises such as yoga. The slow movements and easy moves of some of the exercises that I do can be very calming to the mind and help me to relax.

A very good book. It has been years since I have been able to get lost in reading, thankfully I have become a Harry Potter addict and can not get enough of J.K. Rowling's writing about the young wizard's life at school. I await the final novel with both eagerness and a sense of sadness that I am uncertain I'll find another series I can get as easily caught up in to use for relaxation. (Being an avid reader in my youth I read most fantasy novels prior to 2000 (when I became a full-time caregiver), since then I don't seem to have the focus for long novels.

A warm cup of coffee and a few minutes of silence to watch the sunrise - provided I can clear my mind and not be thinking over something that just happened or is going to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy