Friday, October 28, 2011

Thyme Tea for coughs from flu

For the first time in about 20 years I have let myself be sick while I have the flu - I don't think I wanna ever do that again.

I've been sick for about two weeks now, and although I am past the stage where I just wanted to tuck into bed and sleep through the sickness stuff, I am now into coughing every time I try to lay down. I don't like it, and I'm not getting enough sleep because I can't lay down without having to get back up because of the coughing.

I looked up home remedies online and found that thyme made into a tea is supposed to be good for stopping coughs, so I decided to try it. I had already tried the honey, lemon and brandy trick. And spoons of honey. And several other tricks - I even tried a trick I saw on a video where the pharmacy guy had said that you can stop nighttime coughs by putting Vicks Vapor Rub on the soles of your feet and putting on warm socks then going to sleep. Not sure on how that works, my test was flawed by inability to sleep at the time I tried it.

The thyme tea seems to be of some help though. I made up a recipe for thyme ginger tea:

1 tsp thyme leaves
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
3 whole cloves

Place into small tea pot and add 1 cup boiling water. Let steep for 10 minutes. Add 1 more cup boiling water to warm it back up.

Pour into tea cups and sweeten with honey. Sip to soothe coughs.

I don't know if there is a safe limit on how much thyme a person can drink, I will need to look that up, but the tea has a nice flavor to it and is even good cold - which makes me want to try it as an iced tea next summer. Will need to look into if there is a limit to how much thyme someone should consume and what its side effects are.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy