Monday, July 09, 2007

My Cookbook: an introduction

I'm making stew tonight for dinner. It just seemed like a good idea when I was in the store yesterday and found a one pound package of chunks of stew meat for $3. A pound of meat is all we really need. I knew I could come up with everything else at the house.

Sure enough, there are baby carrots, a bag of onions, some leftover celery from when we got a bunch and only needed one piece the other day, and although the potatoes were a lot worse for the wear, I was able to get some not quite so worse for wear potatoes from my brother.

I don't have any beef bullion cubes, but I do have a package of beef stew seasoning mix stuff.

So, after while I will brown the meat in the pan, using a little flour salt and pepper (scant on the salt, just enough to draw out the flavor good). Then following a general "this sounds right" recipe I'll cook the meat in water until it's time to add assorted other ingredients. A little flour mixed in cold water as a thickening agent, some kitchen bouquet for flavor and to add color and all I'm missing is a bay leaf. I forget just what the bay leaf does, but this will be the first time I have made a stew without one so I guess I'll find out what it does. LOL

I've decided that I'll use this as a starting recipe for creating a new segment here called My Cookbook. I love to cook, and so does my mom, and generally when we do we cook fast and easy, so I think it would be a good addition to the blog for other caregivers looking for recipes that can be fit into the insane schedule of cooking and caregiving. We'll see how this section evolves.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy