Monday, July 09, 2007

A small home is a cozy home

When I was cleaning houses for people I cleaned two huge houses that were 99.99% wasted space that was just a waste of heating energy. Why have lots of open space if it's not being used? As a family caregiver living in a three bedroom house with my parents, it is almost a life skill to know a thing or three about Small Home Design. People often assume that small house means no space, and yes, I admit it, in our house there is a lot of "clutter" but I'm a packrat tyvm. I have a small office, so redesigning it is going to take into account that I have a big office collection of books and equipment. Shelves will be designed that allow me to store things in efficient manners and I have a plan for a blackboard with a sliding bulletin board front that will allow me to take full advantage of the small space I have for both of them by combining them.

The bathroom is another exercise in spacial economy. With everything from a washer and dryer to handicapped bathtub seats and a vanity that needs to be stored away the bathroom is carefully maintained chaos most of the time, but when there is room to store things that are needed in the bathroom it makes no sense to have a wasted space as a spare room. All that does is add to the heating bills. So even if the house is a bit small for what I would like it to be, it is actually a very nicely laid out chaos that I think would not be any better if it was larger.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Privacy Policy